This coffee is one that we wait impatiently for, every year. It has a beautiful history so we wanted to shine a little more light on it in this month's letter.
Ethiopia Adame Garbota is a Fair Trade and Organic Certified coffee from the Yirgacheffe region. As a company we focus on Direct Trade coffees that we build from the ground-up at origin, but our projects in Ethiopia don't usually fit that mold.
This particular lot of coffee is what Ethiopia would consider Grade 1, or a "hand sorted, zero defect" version of what the Adame Garbota Cooperative produces. Like most coffee producers we work with, Adame produces different levels of quality and Grade 1 is the highest quality that can be purchased from the country. Though this coffee doesn't get the Direct Trade stamp like almost all of our other offerings, it's important to remember that it's truly exceptional in the world of coffee.
This is the third year this coffee has been purchased by Olympia Coffee and you may remember that in 2015 Sam Schroeder won 3rd place for Olympia in the US Barista Competition with it, and it won a Good Food Award. It has again won a Good Food Award for 2016 but it was exciting to see we were the only roaster from Washington State to be awarded one for the year. This coffee is truly outstanding.
If you haven't tried it yet order a sample soon, and if you'd like to try it as espresso we are featuring it as our Single Origin Espresso on bar all month at our 3 cafes.
We have very excited news to share with you. Today October 12 2015 we have kicked open doors to their brand new state-of-the-art cafe and headquarters complex. Located on 4th Avenue and Cherry Street, just blocks from the heart of downtown Olympia, this cafe gleams with custom flourishes, bells and whistles, and details to drive a coffee nerd to rapture, merging Pacific Northwest interior design with a mid-century modern aesthetic sensibility.
The gear list at Oly’s new space includes a La Marzocco Strada EE espresso machine (customized by Espresso Parts), a Poursteady brewer, grinders by Baratza, Mahlkonig, and Nouva Simonelli, plus two roasters: an Ideal Rapid Gothot 23kg and Diedrich IR-12. Guests in the space can glimpse nearly every step of the Olympia Coffee Roasting Co. process, from cupping to sample roasting, production to packaging, plus floor to ceiling green coffee storage.
The Roussa Cassel designed space was built by Bicycle Homebuilding, featuring custom cabinetry and furniture by Michael Hedges and sustainable wood by Windfall Lumber. Additional design elements were provided by the teams at Garza Marfa and Moonish.
Opening day for the space is October 12th, 2015, and the shop will offer a public cupping program every Friday at 10am at the space’s purpose-built cupping lab. OCR co-owner Oliver Stormshak has promised “nitro coffee floats” plus affogatos on the menu, made with Oly’s Sweetheart Espresso blend. “I love the views into the operation from the customer seating area and the street,” Stormshak, “so you can cleanly see the Gothot and the Diedrich (soon to be moved) crushing out perfect roasts, sample roasting, and cupping all from your seat. For a coffee geek it’s a thing of beauty.”
Exciting new coffee destinations are de rigeur in bigger Pacific Northwest cities like Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, BC, but here in plucky little Olympia, this is about as big as it gets for a new coffee space. Stormshak promises “an elevated cafe-retail experience” on par with what cafe goers might find in L.A. or New York. “We want to help restore pride in Olympia, WA by leading the way and help spur an economic revitalization in our downtown,”.
A noble goal, powered one nitro cold brew float at a time.
Photos by Chris DiNottia
Coffee Bar Manager
The Coffee Bar Manager works as a member of Olympia Coffee’s Retail Team. S/he is supervised by the Retail Director, works in close collaboration with the Retail Trainer and supervises a team of Baristas in operation of the coffee bar. The Coffee Bar Manager is responsible for managing his/her coffee bar’s operational and financial success.
- Ensuring the store is providing consistently excellent products and service, and that the environment is inviting, clean, and well stocked.
- Building a well-developed and high performing team that works together collaboratively and upholds the Olympia Coffee Staff Member Expectations.
- Promoting a positive staff moral and favorable image in the community as a local, hand crafted artisan brand.
Bar Operation and Budgeting
- Perform barista tasks during scheduled shifts (15-20 hours per week): prepare drinks, provide an outstanding customer experience, operate point of sale, stock products, and cleans store.
- Ensure clean, attractive, and inviting cafe environment.
- Create and execute plans to elevate product quality and customer experience, as well as minimize waste and reduce costs.
- Participate in financial goals of store including development and implementation of systems for increasing efficiency and profitability of the store.
- Monitor and manage labor levels to increase efficiency without sacrificing quality or customer experience.
- Maintain vendor relationships and keep products in stock by ordering products or communicating café inventory needs to Wholesale Department.
- Maintain relationships with bakeries, including placing orders, introducing new products, tracking and minimizing waste.
- Maintain scheduled preventative maintenance on all equipment, and ensure that all equipment is in proper working order.
- Troubleshoot small repairs and work with the retail director toward a resolution on larger repairs.
- Maintain safety of cafe environment and ensure proper handling and storage of food products.
Team Development and Education
- Recruit, hire, and supervise a team of baristas for coffee bar operation.
- Work closely with the Retail Trainer for initial and ongoing training for coffee bar team.
- Demonstrate leadership in coffee preparation, bar management, and hospitality.
- Create weekly schedules for coffee bar team, adjust hours and shift as necessary.
- Facilitate communication between coffee bar team and work any issues towards resolution.
- Maintain complete knowledge of all coffees and retail products, stay up-to-date on emerging products, promotions, and policies and ensure education of coffee bar team.
- Develop leadership within team including hiring and supervise lead baristas.
- Educate and ensure coffee bar team is upholding company procedures and policies, use corrective action as necessary.
- Promote positive staff moral and relationships with staff members including honoring staff member company anniversaries.
- Maintain calendar of staff member reviews, including scheduling and facilitation of reviews.
- Passionate about coffee, great work ethic and desire to be at Olympia Coffee Roasting Co
- Positive attitude, great communication, and strong leadership skills.
- Strong knowledge, background, and experience in coffee preparation, bar management and hospitality.
- Detail-oriented and excellent organization skills
- Ability to solve problems and prioritize important tasks
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage independently
- Capable of handling sensitive and confidential information
- Basic computer skills and technological troubleshooting
- Ability to manage projects and hold others accountable for job performance
Salaried Position based on a 35 hour work week
10 Days Paid Time Off
Mileage reimbursement for company errands
Coffee benefits package
To apply please include a cover letter and resume attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting closes March 30, 2015
Our Ethiopia Biloya Organic receives the highest score of 95 points. In the Everyday Exceptional: Macro Lots of 2015.
Olympia Coffee Roasting
Ethiopia Biloya Organic
Location: Olympia, Washington
Origin: Gedeo Zone, Yirgacheffe growing region, southern Ethiopia.
Est. Price: $16.75/12 ounces
Review Date: March 2015
Delicate but extraordinarily intricate. Passion flower, orange, loquat, sandalwood, frankincense in aroma and cup. Sweetly bright, juicy acidity; light, silky mouthfeel. Flavor resonates far into a long finish with very little loss of complexity.
This coffee is certified organically grown and Fair Trade certified, meaning it was purchased from small-holding farmers at a “fair” or economically sustainable price. Yirgacheffe coffees like this one processed by the wet or washed method (fruit skin and pulp are removed before drying) typically express great aromatic complexity and intensity, often with a particular emphasis on floral and citrus notes. The Biloya Cooperative was established in 1976, and in 2002 joined twenty-plus other primary cooperatives located in the Gedeo Zone of Southern Ethiopia to form the Yirgacheffe Farmers Union. Olympia Coffee Roasting is a small-batch wholesale and retail roasting company with a youthful, no-nonsense style and a commitment to high-quality organic coffees. Visit www.olympiacoffeeroasting.com or call 360-753-0066 for more information.
Who Should Drink It: Those who enjoy being seduced and dazzled.